“Safe Material Handling” is for all workers who lift, carry, or transport loads using their hands or hand operated materials handling equipment such as dollies, hand trucks, pallet jacks, etc. Workers will learn how to assess a load for safe handling and to recognize loads that pose hazards. The course teaches the use of proper personal protective equipment for material handling, how to choose the right material handling equipment and how to use it correctly. Workers will learn to appreciate the need to ask for help when needed and will learn to respond properly if a load is damaged.
At any given time in the workplace, everybody could encounter the need to manually handle materials. And it does not happen at the warehouse alone as there are materials that need to be handled, lifted, and brought to a location even in offices, more so in the production and in the maintenance floor. One has to be careful in doing such, as 20 to 25 percent of all workplace injuries are associated with manual material handling. When a material handling accident happens, two things are apparent to occur; injuries or property damage. Injuries associated with manual material handling could involve the lower back and lower back injuries could be irreversible.OBJECTIVES:Manual Material Handling Training will enable participants to:
- Recognize hazards associated with manual material handling;
- Safely handle a load and realize that each person has capacity limitations;
- Select and use proper equipment and safely travel with loads
- List the benefits of following special handling instructions;
- Respond properly to damaged loads; and
- Report accidents and incidents associated with Manual Material handling and state the benefits of reporting.
- Workplace Safety (Hazard Identification)
- OSHS Rule 1150
- Ergonomics – Rules for Lifting
- Proper Storage of Materials
- Handling Hazardous Chemicals
- Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Handling Workplace Emergencies